Pages

Saturday 5 April 2014

Summoner Wars

Summoner Wars Master Set.
I played a new game this week. Well, new for me. Summoner Wars is a board game that Rom brought up with him. He introduced me to the basics and we launched straight into a game. I must admit, I'm not much of a board gamer but I found myself enjoying Summoner Wars. It's quick, requires strategical thinking and keeps you focused with organised turn-based play options. If you're keen on trying it out, Rom suggests the Master Set.

The battlefield is set! Initial card layout is determined by your faction. 

You don't start with magic cards... but any card you destroy goes into the magic pile. You can also discard cards from your hand to build magic at the end of your turn.

I am playing Sunderved, summoner of the Mountain Vargath. They look like beastmen or broo. Rom is playing Tundle, summoner of the Deep Dwarves. They look (and act) like nasty gnomes.

Each unit has special abilities, which are written on the card. Handy!

I'm not sure why I'm spouting the rules, you can download them here.

Another brick in the wall!

Each phase brings new developments. Or in my case, more walls.

I'm summoning the grunts, still holding onto a major hero (that I'll eventually discard because he costs too much to summon).

I've missed a few photos. Units are dropping like flies on both sides of the battlefield.

Rom's summoner is in trouble.

This may be out of sequence... or Rom is beating the crap out of me.

Tensions are high. The game could go either way at this point.

You can attack with up to three units each round.

Rom continues to smash my units. Often with missile attacks. He has summons a special character (but I take out his scholar).

I begin to tighten my grip.

I summon my first special character (she's got lightning) but it's already over for Rom. I destroy his summoner. Victory is mine!
If you still have no idea what's going on, watch this helpful video:

No comments:

Post a Comment