Pages

Sunday 22 February 2015

PTS 68 + An Old Friend Visits + Grenadier Wizard


Painting Table Saturday hits 68 with a visit from an old friend inspiring the restoration of a classic Grenadier wizard, from the days of our youth. In fact, Jim was one of the first kids I ever played D&D with in Te Kuiti. He was also one of my first friends in Te Kuiti. Thirty years can fly by. Anyway, Jim now lives in Yorkshire. It's a long way from New Zealand and I certainly appreciated the visit on his whirlwind tour of the country with his family and parents in law. 

My God sons, Thomas and Ethan.
I owe a lot to Jim. My extensive knowledge of Queen songs comes from his love of the band and his infectious laughter was always a blessing when I did something dumb. There were plenty of dumb things to do back then! Jim was also best man at my wedding. I showed him round the new house and The Man Shed (which never fails to impress blokes). Going through a collection of miniatures, I found one he had given me. Alas, I used to joke about his painting skills. I regret that now.

So this week I stripped his old wizard using Dettol. A new technique for me as I usually use paint stripper (but I was all out). The effects were suitable, although I didn't get all of the enamel off the lead, it was enough for me to get going and time was of the essence. The photos speak for themselves. I gave this wizard OSL... Object Source Lighting. May it shine a light wherever Jim decides to display it.

A day in a cap full of Dettol does the trick.

Well almost. The beard is gnarly. I begin with the face and hands.

Bright yellow undercoat to bring out the red.





I'm also almost finished the first batch of 54mm Turks for Mustering the Troops as a contribution to the diorama of Chunuk Bair, part of the official Gallipoli New Zealand WW100 project. I have also employed the assistance of my youngest daughter Rylee (aged 5).

Rylee joins the ranks of Kiwis painting for Peter Jackson.

God bless you and have a great week!

8 comments:

  1. Lovely post Darcy. I remember that figure well from my early playing days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Jim is a top bloke. Yes, the wizard was from a Grenadier box set. I may yet paint some of the others.

      Delete
  2. That's a cracking fine paint job! Love the OSL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy. I really like the effect and it worked well with his pose.

      Delete
  3. Great work on the wizard ! and I see you have great help ! :)
    Always looking forward to your next project !
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mario. It was a joy to paint. I need all the help I can get with the Gallipoli project! We need to paint 4000 troops by Anzac Day 2015!

      Delete
  4. It would be great to include that photo of your daughter on the Mustering the Troops blog - but over to you if you think that is appropriate or not. But she must be one of our youngest painters!

    ReplyDelete