Pages

Sunday 10 August 2014

#RPGaDAY - Day 9: Favourite Die

As I initially thought, getting a post out every day for #RPGaDAY has proven challenging. Also, some of these questions are so very similar to a D&D blog hop from earlier this year. So from now on, to keep this interesting, I'm going to roll a die and answer the corresponding question.

Given that I bought my first D30 in March, I'll be using it to generate the numbers. Consider it my new favourite die, which neatly handles question number 9! What's so ubercool about this D30? Well, it's purple and allows me to use this D&D house rule:

The Big Purple D30 Rule
Once per session each player may opt to roll the big purple d30 in lieu of whatever die or dice the situation normally calls for. The choice to roll the big purple D30 must be made before any roll. The D30 cannot be roll for generating character statistics or hit points.



We Fear No Die!
Today's lucky numbers are 8, 29 and 25.*

8th - Favourite character
29th - Most memorable encounter
25th - Favourite RPG no one else wants to play

*Yes, these were rolled in this order. The 8 was an example of the butterfly effect.


Favourite Character
My favourite character would most likely be a half-orc Wizard named Vok Wightkicker. At 2nd level he kicked a wight, in the heat of combat, more out of desperation than anything else. Of course Vok didn't know it was a wight and suffered the loss of a level for his efforts. However, he did enough damage with that kick to kill it, thus earning the title 'Wightkicker'. The DM was surprised to say the least. The character ended up being published in a Swords & Sorcery (Necromancer Games) module, as a proprietor of a Magic Shop, which is kinda cool.


Most Memorable Encounter
I did mention this encounter somewhere online already but hey, here it is again... It was an enormous dungeon, underneath castle ruins, dominated by a family of red dragons. The party opened a door and walked into a classroom where the characters were compelled to sit at a desk and solve the arithmetic equations that the cane-wielding professors (in academic cap and gown), wrote upon the blackboard. Completely incongruous to the dungeon we had explored thus far, suffice to say we were stunned. This was pre-Harry Potter (mid-80's) and none of us expected it. Eventually, to everyone's relief, Steve's character asked about Pi, giving us an opportunity to escape as the professors huddled around the blackboard in debate. 


Favourite RPG No One Else Wants To Play
First thoughts? My favourite RPG is D&D. However, I don't usually have any trouble finding players. So that leaves me with a RPG that the players don't like... I will ask around.

D&D 4th Edition.

Because of my reluctance to buy it and/or believe it was an improvement on 3rd Edition. That doesn't mean it's a bad game. It's just not D&D the way I want to play it.

No comments:

Post a Comment